Thursday, August 12, 2010

Sunderland sign Manchester City's Nedum Onuoha in loan deal

Defender says with Steve Bruce's help, he 'can't go far wrong'...

Sunderland have completed a second defensive signing in 24 hours by confirming a long-rumoured loan deal for Manchester City's Nedum Onuoha.

The former U21 England international was facing an uncertain future at Eastlands following a raft of big-money signings, but now will have the chance to compete for regular Premier League football at the Stadium of Light.

"It's an exciting move for me, to be honest," Onuoha told Sunderland's official website.

"The way things were going for me at Manchester City, I didn't really think I was going to be a part of things this season. Steve Bruce had mentioned an interest in me and to have him wanting me was a great thing.

"I've come here to learn and develop myself and with someone like Steve at the helm, I can't go too far wrong.

"I'm looking forward to the first game. I didn't really see myself being in contention at City, but hopefully I have the same chance as everyone else here."

The 23-year-old has spent his entire career at Eastlands but is believed to have been frozen out after another summer of big spending saw Jerome Boateng, among others, arrive.

With new Premier League regulations limiting squad sizes to 25, Onuoha is understood to have been shown the exit door by manager Roberto Mancini. His arrival will increase Bruce's defensive options, along with fellow signing Titus Bramble.

Roberto Mancini is widely expected to sell a host of players, including Stephen Ireland, as he trims his current squad to 25 players while also tying up deals to bring Aston Villa midfielder James Milner and Inter Milan’s Mario Balotelli to the club.

Ireland will reportedly be used as a makeweight in a £26 million deal involving Milner that is expected to be completed in the next 48 hours.

Restrictions placed upon Premier League clubs this season could also mean strikers Roque Santa Cruz and Craig Bellamy leave the club, especially if Mancini completes the signing of Balotelli as expecte
d.

No comments:

Post a Comment